What's is DocBase
Like the name says, this is a document database system or document management system which include
an internal rich text editor
The application work on PHP, using MySQL database as backend.
DocBase is guided by two simple principles:
- Keep all documents in one place, to make them accessible anywhere, anytime.
- Keep document creation and/or updating very simple and with as few required steps as possible.
- Server side: Apache/PHP/MySQL on UNIX (never tested on Windows but it's in the plan).
- Client side: Microsoft Internet Explorer v5.5+. The rich text editor doesn't work at all with Netscape or Mozilla.
For now, the DocBase application server has been tested on a UNIX host (HP-UX) with Apache/PHP/MySQL./p>
For client side, only Microsoft Explorer 5.5 and higher works for the rich text editor
How it works in summary:
- All documents are created into the DocBase application itself by using the internal rich text editor.
- A document can be released or unreleased. All new/modified documents go in the unreleased list until you release them by using the button.
- Each document release is a document by itself. The system keeps all versions of a document so you can see the changes over time.
- A release document is only a document with a version, given at release time.
- You can insert pictures, attach any kind of files or create internal DocBase document hyperlinks (references to other DocBase documents).
- At release of a document, an email is sent to a defined address in HTML format.
- Documents are classified in group/subgroup organization.
- A document is locked at editing time to prevent two people from making conflicting simultaneous edits.
- You can filter, sort and search accros all documents
- All documents are written in HTML.
- All documents, pictures and inserted documents are stored in MySQL database.
- We're currently working to clean up the code to be able to release something very soon
- Check to install server on a Windows 2000 server with IIS/PHP/[MySQL or MSSQL]